b. 4 June 1838, son of John Owen of Tan-y-ffordd, Llangian, Caerns. He was a brother of John Jones (Myrddin Fardd, 1836 - 1921). His early education was received at the Foel Gron national school. When he was about 15 years old he entered the North Wales training college where he spent three years. He was subsequently appointed master of the National school at Llanfair Caereinion, Mont. During his stay there he interested himself in the history of his country and people; many articles by him were published in the Brython, Yr Haul, Golud yr Oes, and Cymro, under the various pseudonyms of ‘Cïan,’ ‘Llenwyson,’ ‘Pedrog,’ ‘Maldwyn,’ ‘Manoethwy,’ ‘Mihangel,’ ‘Myfyr,’ ‘O,’ and ‘O Wen’; he also wrote to English periodicals. After a five-year stay at Llanfair he resolved to enter Jesus College, Oxford, in preparation for taking holy orders, but went instead as tutor to H. W. Kyffin of Bryn Tanad, Llanerfyl. While there he was able to broaden his historical knowledge, and to copy from some Welsh manuscripts. He then removed to London (and not to Oxford), remaining there until his health broke down, and returning to Llanfair about three weeks before his death on 7 February 1866, at the age of 27. He was buried on the 10th at Llanfair Caereinion. Some of his manuscripts are in the Cwrtmawr collection in N.L.W.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/