became a Fellow of All Souls, Oxford, in 1546, B.C.L. in 1549, D.C.L. in 1552 (18 July), and was admitted to Doctors’ Commons on 14 October of the same year. In 1554 he was presented to the sinecure rectory of Llanrwst, was made a cursal canon of S. Asaph in 1560, and held the sinecure rectory of Llansannan (first portion) from 1561-92. He sat for Hindon, Wilts. (probably a pocket borough of the earl of Pembroke) in the Parliaments of 1558-9. He acquired a high reputation as a civil lawyer, and on 17 October 1571 he was one of the five learned doctors, including also William Aubrey, and David Lewis, judge, consulted by Elizabeth on the amenability of John Leslie, bishop of Ross, to the English courts for his intrigues against the English queen while ambassador here for the Queen of Scots. In 1576 archbishop Grindal sought his advice, along with that of his chancellor, Thomas Yale, and Awbrey, on the reform of ecclesiastical courts in his province. Jones's opinion is printed in Strype, Grindal, 303. He was a trustee of the educational foundation of Dr. John Gwynne. He died in February 1592, and was buried in S. Bennett's, Paul's Wharf, London.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
Read Benet's (not ‘Bennett's’).
Published date: 1997