b. 28 Aug. 1827 at Waunwthan in the parish of Llangeler, Carms., son of John and Elizabeth Jones, Pen-y-banc, Clos-y-graig. When he was two years old his parents moved to his mother's old home, Pen-y-banc. He received his early education at a school held in Saron (Independent) chapel, Llangeler. When he was 12 years of age, he was sent for three years to Newcastle Emlyn, to a grammar school of some repute, kept by J. Davies (1795 - 1858), a Unitarian minister. Then after a year at the Carmarthen (Academy) grammar school, he entered the Presbyterian Academy, Carmarthen, where he remained for five years. While there, he began to preach — he was then 17 years of age. In 1849 he won the Dr. Williams Scholarship — the first Welsh Calvinistic Methodist to win this scholarship — and proceeded to the University of Glasgow, where he graduated in 1852 and was awarded ‘The Lord Jeffreys Gold Medal’ as the most distinguished Greek scholar of his year. He then studied at the universities of Gottingen and Halle, and graduated Ph.D. of Halle. He was ordained in 1859. From 1865 till his death he was classical tutor at Trevecka. He was moderator of the South Wales C.M. Association in 1879. He was greatly loved by his students and was in great demand as a preacher. He d. at Southport 21 July 1885 and was buried at Clos-y-graig.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/