Born at Verwick near Cardigan; his father (a blacksmith) was an Anglican, his mother a Calvinistic Methodist. At about 20, desiring to enter the ministry, he went to a school at Blaenannerch nearby, and thence (1858) to Trevecka. In 1862 he won a Dr. Daniel Williams scholarship, which took him to Glasgow, where he graduated in 1866. After spending some months at Edinburgh, he returned in 1867 to Wales, was ordained and called (1868) to the pastorate of the small C.M. congregation at Llandysul, and there set up a school which he kept up till 1894. He was not a popular preacher; his pastoral duties were negligible; he published very little. He was indeed a reclusive scholar — a good classic with a sound knowledge of German, but primarily interested in Hebrew and Syriac. He figures in the present work in virtue of his excellent school — in a countryside noted for its schools and schoolmasters; not a few of its pupils are noticed elsewhere in this volume, and ministerial biographies of all denominations make mention of it. James died 6 September 1915, and was buried in the Independent chapel burial-ground, across the road from his house.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/