The first record of him is in 1547, when he bought a tenement called ' Tire Nant y Krynwyth ' in the parish of Llangynwyd, Glamorganshire. At that time, he resided in the parish of Betws, near Bridgend, where his father and brothers held farms. He belongs to an important group of scribes who flourished in Glamorgan at the end of the 16th century. In 1574, he wrote Llanstephan MS 171 , which contains a collection of Welsh prose texts, including the story of Owen ab Urien, the Seven Sages of Rome, and the story of the rudderless ship ('Y Llong Foel'). He also copied Llanstephan MS 178 , an incomplete Welsh version of the English Voyage of the Wandering Knight. Egerton Phillimore dated this manuscript at about 1575, but, as William Goodyear's English version of Jehan de Cartheny's Le Voyage du Chevalier errant (printed at Antwerp, 1557) was first published in 1581, the Welsh version must be placed later. Other papers by Ieuan ap Ieuan were at one time sewn in the binding of this manuscript. They were taken out during the last century, and are preserved at the National Library (N.L.W. MS. 280 and Lloyd Verney Document 20). They include a Llangynwyd assessment of 1584, copies of prayers, ' Curig's Hymn,' and genealogical memoranda on the scribe's ancestry. With them also is a bond from Ieuan ap Ieuan to Anthony Powel of Llwydarth, 1587.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.