A native of Llanfflewin, Anglesey, he proceeded to London before 1755 and had a business at 119, High Holborn. He was elected a honorary Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1781. A musical watch which he made for the Emperor of China was discovered during the sacking of Pekin in 1860. He was in business until 1794 at the Dial near King Street, High Holborn, and also at Lower Grosvenor Street.
Hughes was a member of the Cymmrodorion Society from the very start, and a vice-president in 1759. He was a friend of Robert Hughes (1744 - 1785). See Cymm., 1951, 65 (and appendices) and B.B.C.S., vi, 234.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/