b. at Tredegar, 1828, and brought up at Aber-carn, Mon., son of Nathan Hughes. On his father's side he was descended from [ Evan Hughes, printer,] one of the ‘Family’ which Howel Harris gathered round himself at Trevecka [see Cylch. Cymd. Hanes M.C., ix, 40-1], and he had inherited to a considerable extent the devotional and missionary zeal of his line. He started his career as a schoolmaster and for some time kept a school at Goginan, near Aberystwyth. There he dedicated himself to the ministry and, in 1851, was persuaded by Lewis Edwards to go to Bala College. After a short time spent as minister in Birmingham and at Cemaes, Mont., he moved in 1859 to Bryn-teg, in Goronwy Owen's district in Anglesey, where he remained for the rest of his life apart from four years (1878-82) when he was minister of Armenia chapel, Holyhead. His evangelizing missions took him over the whole of Wales and, more particularly, to the churches supervised by denomination's ‘home mission’ in England and on the border.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/