Born at Bangor, 11 June 1822. He was educated at Friars School, Bangor, and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he matriculated in 1840; he became a scholar of his college, and a wrangler. He took his B.A. in 1844 and his M.A. in 1847. He was ordained deacon by bishop Bethell of Bangor, 1 February 1846, and received priest's orders on 20 December in the same year. He was licensed to the curacy of Llanfaes, Anglesey, and, in July 1850, he went as curate to Northop, Flints. From there he was preferred, in August 1860, to the vicarage of Llanasa, and he spent ten years there, before moving to Llanfair-Dyffryn-Clwyd. He died at Llanfair, 5 February 1891, and was buried there. He married Eleanor, daughter of W. H. Brown of Chester, on 27 June 1865, and they had one son. Hughes served as diocesan inspector of schools to bishop Short of S. Asaph, and wrote a number of articles to Welsh Church publications. Amongst these were two series in Yr Haul, one on the vocabulary of the Welsh Bible (1885-6) and the other on the Welsh of the Book of Common Prayer (1887-8). At the Aberffraw eisteddfod of 1849 he won a prize for an essay on the syntax and characteristics of the Welsh and English languages.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/