Born at Llannor, Caernarfonshire, 1778. He worked as a gardener at Abererch and Liverpool where, through his brother Robert who was a lay preacher, he came into contact with the Wesleyans, joining their society in 1805, the year in which his brother Griffith entered the Wesleyan ministry. In 1807, he himself became a minister and worked the following circuits: Dolgelley (1807), Aberystwyth (1808), Llanfyllin (1809), Denbigh (1811), Brecon (1812), Llandilo (1814), Carmarthen (1815), Cardiff (1817), Machynlleth (1819), Caernarvon (1821), Denbigh and Llanrwst (1824), Llanidloes (1826), Carmarthen (1828), Brecon (1831), Swansea (1834), Merthyr Tydfil (1837), and Carmarthen (1840). He was chairman of the Welsh province of South Wales (1828-43) and was the first Welsh minister to be elected to his denomination's ‘Legal Hundred’ (1834). He retired in 1843 and made his home at Carmarthen where he died 17 December 1855.
He founded many new chapels, and was a very successful minister. He was a frequent contributor to the Eurgrawn Wesleyaidd, which he edited for a time (1819-21). He and the Rev. John Williams ‘the second’ were the authors of Y Goleuad Dwyreiniol, 1827, and the translators of John Wesley's ‘Notes on the New Testament,’ 1831. He wrote his autobiography which, after his death, was published under the editorship of his son-in-law, Isaac Jenkins. JOHN HUGHES, physician, coroner and J.P. for Carmarthen, father of Hugh Price Hughes, was his son; his daughter married Isaac Jenkins; his two other children died, one in infancy and one, Hugh, at the age of twenty-seven.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/