b. at Caernarvon, son of Evan Hughes. He was educated at an academy at Towyn, Mer., at the ministerial school at Clynnog, at University College, Aberystwyth, and at S. John's College, Cambridge. From Aberystwyth in 1886 he took the London University B.A.; he graduated at Cambridge in 1891, taking his M.A. in 1896. In 1911 he took the University of London B.D. degree. He began to preach in 1892 and in 1894 Siloh church, Caernarvon, where he had been brought up and of which, in 1891, he had been elected an elder, called him to its pastorate. It was his only charge, and he held it until his resignation, owing to ill-health, in 1926. Throughout his career he was hampered by bad health and his activities were limited in many ways for this reason. He became, however, a popular preacher and a well-known figure in his denomination. In 1915 he gave the ‘Davies Lecture,’ his subject being ‘The priestly and the prophetic conceptions of religion.’ In 1905 he was appointed editor of Y Traethodydd, a position which he held until the end of 1928, when an editorial board, of which he was chairman, was appointed. He wrote little himself; his tastes were those of a scholar and he remained a student all his life. He m. Lily Charles, daughter of R. J. Davies, Cwrt-mawr, Llangeitho (see under Robert Davies, 1790 - 1841), and sister to principal J. H. Davies.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/