Born at Ty'n-y-llan, Llan-wrtyd, Brecknock, 7 March 1786, son of Henry and Anne Harries and younger brother of William Harries of Trevecka. He married 1808, Maria, daughter of the Rev. Dafydd Parry of Llanwrtyd. In 1812, having been converted under the ministry of Ebenezer Richard, he joined the church at Pontrhyd-y-bere and began to preach in 1814. In 1818 he went to live at Brecon where he set up as a cloth merchant. In 1826 he was ordained at the Association at Llangeitho. Later, he moved to Dowlais and subsequently to Merthyr Tydfil where he spent the rest of his life. He was one of the outstanding Calvinistic Methodist ministers of Glamorgan and his witty sayings are remembered to this day. Apart from that, he was one of the leaders of his denomination. Having become a carpenter and builder by trade he acted as denominational architect, and supervised the building of a large number of chapels in the county. He died 20 November 1861 and was buried in Graig cemetery, Merthyr.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/