Born 6 August 1871 at Ffynnon Ynyd, Ferryside, Carmarthenshire, son of the Rev. John Griffiths and Anna, his wife. He was educated at Parcyfelfed, Carmarthen, and then became a shop assistant at Mountain Ash, Glamorganshire, where he began to preach. After a further period of education at Gwynfryn school, Ammanford, and Trevecka College he became assistant minister at the English Presbyterian church, Waterloo, Liverpool, until his ordination at the Cwmbwrla Association, 1900. He was minister of the church at Crug-glas, Swansea, for two years, moving thence in 1902 to Charing Cross, London, where he remained for the rest of his life. He was an original preacher and his ministry was notable for its spiritual ardour. He married (1) Mary Howell of Pen-coed and (2) Annie Jane, widow of T. E. Ellis. He was a frequent contributor to the Welsh periodicals and a selection of his articles can be found in Llais o Lundain, 1912. He edited Gweithiau Gwilym Teilo (undated) while his Cofiant W. E. Prytherch appeared in 1937, after his death. He died 1 January 1937 and was buried in Salem cemetery, Pen-coed.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.