As master of the grammar-school attached to Christ College, Brecon, he taught a group of distinguished men: Thomas Coke, Edward Davies (‘Celtic Davies’), John Jones of Llandovery (the Greek lexicographer), Theophilus Jones, David Price (the Orientalist), and John Hughes of Brecon, who are all noticed in the present work. He was the son of Roger and Gwenllian Griffiths of the parish of S. Davids, Llanfaes, Brecs., christened there 5 June 1726. His name does not appear in the records of either university but inscriptions printed (badly) in Theophilus Jones's Hist. Brecknock, ed. 3, show him to have been a good Latinist. He was ordained deacon with title to the curacy of Bryngwyn, Radnorshire, 13 August 1749, and priest 26 August 1750, when he was licensed to the curacy of Glascwm. Sometime before 1757 he married Frances (born 1731), daughter of Hugh Morgan of Betws Diserth (H.S. Rads., 1724). She was buried at S. John the Evangelist, Brecon, 12 March 1792 (Griffith had been assistant curate there for some years before 1758). In that year, 10 March, he became vicar of Merthyr Cynog, and 14 August master of Brecon grammar-school. He held the vicariate till his death, and the schoolmastership till 23 October 1801, when George Albert Barker succeeded him. He held other incumbencies — the joint curacy of Llandeilo'r Fan and Llanfihangel Nant Bran (1759-1816), the perpetual curacy of Dyffryn Honddu (1765-96), the prebend of Llandegley in the collegiate church of Christ, Brecon (1776-95), and the rectory of Llanbadarn-fawr, Rads. (1804-5). These country parishes were served by curates, for he lived for the greater part of his life in Brecon. He was buried from High Street, Inferior Ward, at S. John's, Brecon, 14 September 1816. He discontinued the use of ‘s’ in his surname in 1759.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/