Born at Dôlclettwr, Tre’r-ddôl on Tre’r-ddôl ar 27 November 1814, the fourth son of William Cobb Gilbertson (1768-1864), a lawyer originally from Middlesex, and his third wife, Elizabeth, and baptized in Llancynfelyn Church on 3 December. He spent his youth at Elerch, Cards. Educated at Jesus College, Oxford, he graduated B.A., 1836, M.A. 1839, B.D. 1847, and was a Fellow of Jesus College, 1840-72. He was ordained deacon, 1837, by the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol (obtaining the curacy of Sheringham, near Cheltenham) and priest, 1838, in the same diocese. From 1841 until 1852 he was vicar of Llangorwen, Cards., where he became known for his connection with the Oxford Movement. In 1852 he returned to Jesus College and after serving as junior bursar and lecturer, became vice-principal, 1855-72. He was made vicar of the new parish of Elerch, April 1869, but, as patron, he appointed his successor, Nov. 1870. In that year he was made rector of Braunston, near Rugby [a College living], which he held until his retirement in 1893. He retired to Aberystwyth and d. 2 April 1896.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/