Born at Neath, 1 April 1861, eldest son of Frederick Joseph Gibbins and Caroline Gibbins, prominent members of the Society of Friends. He was educated at the Quaker School, Scarborough. He married 1898, Sarah Jennette Rhys, Sgubor-fawr, Penderyn, and had two sons. F. W. Gibbins was an outstanding figure in the commercial life of South Wales, particularly in the tinplate industry. He entered the tinplate trade in 1880; was assistant manager at the Ynispenllwch works in 1884. In 1890 he erected and managed the Eagle Tinplate works, Melin, Neath. He was one of the first employers in the trade to provide his work-people with a canteen, lending library, and facilities for recreation, and he was popular as arbitrator in works disputes. One of the founders of the Welsh Plate and Sheets Manufacturers' Association, he was its chairman from 1910 to 1922. He served on several committees, commercial and philanthropic, was a J.P., an ardent upholder of hospital work, a vice-president of the Welsh National Memorial Association, and served as high sheriff of Glamorgan for 1908-9. He was elected M.P. for Mid-Glamorgan in 1910 (Liberal). He sold the Eagle Tinplate works to Baldwins Ltd., in 1922 and went to live at Cwm Irfon Lodge, Llanwrtyd Wells, and thence to 'Glynsaer' where he died on 30 July 1937; he was buried at Cynghordy, near Llandovery.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.