FOULKES, HUMPHREY (1673 - 1737), cleric and antiquary
Name: Humphrey Foulkes
Date of birth: 1673
Date of death: 1737
Parent: David Foulkes
Occupation: cleric and antiquary
Area of activity: History and Culture; Religion; Scholarship and Languages
Author: Griffith Milwyn Griffiths
son of David Foulkes, Llannefydd, Denbighshire. He graduated B.A., from Jesus College, Oxford, 1695, M.A., 1698, and D.D., 1720. Ordained priest in April 1700 he was instituted to the living of S. George, Denbighshire, in 1702. The prebend of Llanfair in the cathedral church of S. Asaph was bestowed upon him in 1705 and he became rector of Marchwiel, Denbighshire, 1709-10, and sinecure rector of Llanfor, Mer., 1713. He wrote dissertations on several aspects of life in the middle ages in Wales and corresponded frequently with Edward Lhuyd on a variety of antiquarian and philological topics. He died in 1737.
- Griffith Milwyn Griffiths, Aberystwyth
Rhestr gyda nodiadau byrion, o Enwogion Cymreig o 1700 i 1900 (1908);
- Foster, Alumni Oxonienses;
- H. B. Thomas, A History of the Diocese of St. Asaph, i, 348;
- R. T. Gunther, Early Science in Oxford, xiv, Life and letters of Edward Lhwyd second Keeper of the Musaeum Ashmoleanum;
- Browne Willis, A Survey of the Cathedral-Church of St. Asaph (1720), i, 300, 391.
NLW MSS 1563, 1663, 1723, 1803;
- S. Asaph diocesan records;
The National Library of Wales Journal. ix, 184.
- Wikipedia Article: Humphrey Foulkes
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/