Born 24 July 1813 at Penrallt, Rhuddlan, Cardiganshire. He was educated at the Rhyd-y-bont school under William Jones and at Blaenbydernyn under John Davies, after which he opened schools of his own at Llandilo, Ffald-y-brenin, and Llanwenog (1832-4). He went to Carmarthen College (1834-8) and later became minister of Llandyfân (Onnen-fawr), Llandilo (1838-40), and Bloxham and Milton, Oxon. (1840-2), thereafter returning to assist John Edward Jones (1801 - 1866) of Bridgend in his pastorate and in his school (1843-50). In 1847 he was one of the founders of Yr Ymofynydd, of which he later became editor, 1868-72. In 1850 he accepted a call to the church at Colyton, Devon, and remained there as minister and schoolmaster until 1863. In 1856 he married Ophelia, daughter of captain George Eyre Powell, R.N. In 1864 he was appointed tutor in Hebrew, mathematics, and natural philosophy at Carmarthen College, where he remained until 1874. He never again worked as a minister although, having gone to Birkenhead to live, he occasionally conducted services in the local churches (1875-89) and, for one year (1879-80), resumed his work in a voluntary capacity at his old church at Colyton. He published scarcely anything in Welsh apart from a pamphlet on Unitarianism in 1876, but there are several articles of his in Yr Ymofynnydd. He spent the autumn of his life in his old district of Llanybyther, died at Aberystwyth 29 October 1902, and was buried in Allt-y-blaca graveyard. George Eyre Evans was his son.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/