EVANS, JOHN (1815 - 1891), archdeacon of Merioneth

Name: John Evans
Date of birth: 1815
Date of death: 1891
Spouse: Mary Evans
Parent: Ann Evans (née Owen)
Parent: John Evans
Gender: Male
Occupation: archdeacon of Merioneth
Area of activity: Religion
Author: John Williams James

Born 4 March 1815, son of John Evans of Tan-y-coed, Llanfair, Mer., and Anne, daughter of John Owen of Crafnant, Llanfair. He was educated at Beaumaris grammar school. He then became a clerk in the office of David Williams (see under Williams of Bron Eryri family), solicitor, who was at that time M.P. for the county of Merioneth, and from there went on to Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated B.A. in 1841. He was ordained and became successively curate of Llanbedr y Cennin, Caerns.; curate of Pentrefoelas, Denbs.; rector of Machynlleth and rural dean of Cyfeiliog, 1857; rector of Llanllechid, 1862; archdeacon of Merioneth, 1866; rector of Aber., Caerns., 1888. He died 24 May 1891. He worked hard both in his parish and in the diocese generally, was an able scholar, and a sound antiquary. He wrote ‘Pentrefoelas’ (in the Cambrian Journal, 1854 and 1855), and ‘Ysbytty Ifan and the Hospitallers’ (in Arch. Camb., 1860).


Published date: 1959

Article Copyright:


EVANS, JOHN (1815 - 1891).

His mother was a descendant of Edmwnd Prys, and his wife Mary, of Saethon, was a cousin of David Williams the M.P. (Letter from his grandson, the Rev. C. Beverly Davies, Hammersmith.)

    Published date: 1997