Born at Ty'n Rhos, Cwm Main, Llangwm, Denbighshire, 14 September 1854, son of Hugh Evans and Jane (Barnard). After a brief period at Cerrig-y-drudion school under John Williams (who at one time kept a bookshop in the Strand, London), he started work in 1871 as a wagoner on various farms. He went to Liverpool in 1875 and worked for a year as a labourer in the building of Stanley Road Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Bootle; he subsequently worked for seven years in the clog-sole works of R. J. Jones, Vauxhall Works, Liverpool. He started a stationer's shop in Stanley Road, Liverpool, in 1889, established a printing press in 1897, and began printing periodicals, including the quarterly Y Beirniad (1911-18); between 1897 and 1934 he published over 300 Welsh books. With his two sons and Arthur Foulkes (Evans Sons and Foulkes) he founded a Welsh newspaper — Y Brython — in February 1906; from November 1909 the newspaper was owned and published by Hugh Evans and Sons. He wrote many articles for Y Brython and other Welsh newspapers and periodicals on the history and folk-lore of Edeirnion and on the history and bibliography of Liverpool Welsh printed books. He was the author of several works, including Camau'r Gysegr, 1926, a history of Stanley Road, Bootle, Welsh C.M. chapel; Hogyn y Bwthyn Bach To Gwellt, 1930, a story for children; Cwm Eithin, first published in 1931 (it had reached its 5th ed. by 1949), the story of social conditions which prevailed in a typical Welsh district 150 years ago — it was translated into English by E. Morgan Humphreys, and published under the title of The Gorse Glen, 1948; Y Tylwyth Teg, published posthumously in 1935; and several illustrated books on religious subjects for children. He married Jane, daughter of David and Sarah Williams, Pant-y-clai, Cynwyd, Mer. He died at Pen-y-bryn, Cynwyd, Corwen, 30 June 1934, and was buried at Longmoor Lane, Kirkdale, Liverpool.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/