Born at Llandybïe, 21 April 1840, eldest son of William and Mary Evans, and brother of T. V. Evans. He began his career as a preacher with the Wesleyan Methodists in 1856, but in 1857 joined the Baptists. After a short time at an academy at Bryn-mawr he went to Pontypool Baptist College in 1858. In 1861 he was ordained at Llangynidr, Brecknock, where he married Frances Williams. In 1866 he emigrated to the U.S.A., where he became minister of the Welsh chapel at Scranton, Pa. (1867-1870). After that he turned to the English ministry and became successively minister of Laight Street and the Central Church in Forty-second Street, New York (1870-4), the First Baptist Church of Franklin, Pa. (1874-85), the old Tenth Church of Philadelphia (1885-92), and the First Baptist Church of Milwaukee (1892-7). During his ministry at Franklin he spent a year in Wales as minister of Salem. He died at Llandybïe, 21 July 1897. He played a prominent part in the Welsh community of the U.S.A. not only as a preacher but as a lecturer, critic, and eisteddfod conductor. He had also conducted at the national and other eisteddfodau during the course of his many visits to Wales.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/