son of David Lewis Evans. Born 8 Sept. 1857 at Colyton, Devon. He was educated at a school kept by William Thomas (Gwilym Marles, 1834 - 1879) and at a school in Liverpool. For some years he was minister of the Church of the Saviour at Whitchurch, Salop, and later devoted many years of his life without pay to the service of the Unitarian chapel at Aberystwyth. But he was, above all, an historian and an antiquary. For eighteen years he was employed to do research for the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire and for thirty-three years he was secretary of the Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society. He published a number of English books : History of Renshaw Street Chapel, Liverpool, 1887; Colytonia, 1898; Whitchurch of Long Ago, 1893; Vestiges of Protestant Dissent, 1897; The Midland Churches, 1899; Lampeter, 1905; Cardiganshire, a Personal Survey, 1903; Record of the Provincial Assembly of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1896; Antiquarian Notes, a private magazine published from 1898 until at least 1905 [and edited Lloyd Letters (1754-96), 1908 ]. He also left a large number of books still in manuscript. He died 9 November 1939 at the age of 82, and his ashes were scattered at Allt-y-blaca cemetery, Llanwenog.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/