Born 1830 (christened 24 June) at Goitre, Llanrhystud, Cardiganshire, son of John and Mary Evans, and educated at Ystrad Meurig and at S. Bees. He became curate of Nantglyn, 1856, and of Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, 1857, and perpetual curate of Frongoch (near Bala), 1858, and of Pont-bleiddyn, 1859. From 1866 to 1876 he was rector of Llanycil with Bala; it may be mentioned that he and John Peter were the examiners who admitted T. E. Ellis into Bala grammar school. In 1876 he became vicar of Abergele, and in 1897 archdeacon of S. Asaph. His reminiscences, originally contributed to Y Llan, appeared in book form (Lampeter, 1904) under the title Adgofion, gan Henafgwr; they are of exceptional interest, more especially as a picture of life in mid-Cardiganshire in the first half of the 19th century. He died 1 March 1910.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.