Born in 1756, he spent most of his time at Cringell, Llantwit-juxta-Neath, dying 21 March 1823. Davies accumulated much material for his projected history of Glamorgan. In 1803 and 1810 he circulated proposals for publishing this history; from the 1810 prospectus it is clear that he intended to issue three quarto volumes at two guineas per volume. That his manuscript never reached finality, but remained in the form of 'collectanea' dispersed all over Glamorgan, is clear from an examination of those portions of it which survive among the G. T. Clark and Traherne-Mansel-Franklen MSS. in the National Library of Wales. A memorial tablet to him was unveiled in the Neath public library in March 1923. The historian knew Edward Williams (Iolo Morganwg, 1747 - 1826), some of whose Glamorgan notes are among the Cringell MSS. He translated a few Welsh poems into English and Latin, and was a contributor to The Gentleman's Magazine and The Cambrian, the newspaper published in Swansea. [ See also under Isaac, David Lloyd.]
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.