Born at Oxwich parsonage, Gower, 14 January 1831; son of John Davies, rector of Reynoldston (1834-1873) and Louisa his wife. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, as a ‘Rossall scholar,’ 28 Oct. 1850; graduated B.A. 20 February, taking the Divinity Testimonium, 24 March 1855, and M.A., 1859; was ordained deacon 23 Sept. 1855, and licensed assistant curate of Nicholaston, and priest 21 Sept. 1856. He was for a time chaplain to the earl of Milltown. He was instituted to the rectory of Llanmadoc, Gower, 28 June 1860, and to that of Cheriton, 2 August 1867, both of which he held until his death. He carried out the restoration of both churches. His hobbies were wood-carving and antiquarian research. He was responsible for most of the carving in the churches of Llanrhidian, Llanmadoc, Llangennith, and Cheriton. He died, unmarried, 30 Sept., and was buried at Cheriton 4 Oct. 1911. His researches into the history of Gower were published in four volumes — A History of West Gower (Swansea, 1877-94). He was also the author of A few words on Non-communicating attendance (Swansea, 1879).
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/