Born at Moelfre, Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, Carmarthenshire, 15 November 1797. In 1803 his father moved to Merthyr Tydfil and, the following year, the boy became blind as the result of smallpox.
He was employed by the firm of Guest, Merthyr, for five years previous to being admitted in 1815 to the Liverpool Institute for the Blind. There he was taught handicraft and learned to speak English.
He returned to Wales in 1817 and began to preach to Methodist congregations. In 1821, however, he was baptized in the river Taff by David Saunders II (1769 - 1840), of Merthyr Tydfil and the same year was established as minister of a (Welsh) Baptist congregation in London. Towards the end of 1826 he was appointed to succeed Joseph Harris (Gomer) at Swansea, and there he laboured until 1855. From 1855 to 1860 he was in charge of Bethania, Cardigan, and from 1861 to 1868 of Ebenezer, Aberavon. In his day he was a very prominent man in his denomination.
He died 19 February 1876 and was buried at Swansea.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/