Born at Mynydd Cynffig (Kenfig Hill), Glam. He began to study music in his childhood; when he was 15 years of age he was teaching sol-fa at Elim chapel, Mynydd Cynffig, and at one time had a choir of 100 voices. He was educated at Brecon College, and he began a degree-course at Glasgow, but had to abandon it for lack of means. Later in life he graduated at Trinity College, Dublin (M.A.).
In 1871 he was ordained co-pastor with William Griffith (1801 - 1881) at Holyhead. He moved to Llannerch-y-medd in 1871 and to Menai Bridge, where he was in charge of the churches both at that place and Llanfair P.G., in 1875. Shortly after moving there he opened a school at Westbury Mount, Menai Bridge, where he prepared many candidates for the ministry and the university.
He wrote a memoir of William Griffith, a handbook of the higher criticism, a commentary on S. Mark's gospel, and many articles to the Cerddor on music and singing. He passed all the examinations of the Tonic Sol-fa College and translated into Welsh several of the handbooks of John Curwen. In 1892 he was appointed to the Council of the Tonic Sol-fa College and continued to be a member for the rest of his life. He acted as adjudicator and conductor at singing festivals.
He died 6 Sept. 1908 and was buried in Llandysilio churchyard, Menai Bridge.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/