The youngest of three sons of John and Martha Catherall of Buckley, Flintshire. He was studying in London for the legal profession when his father died, 7 December 1777, and he came home to assist his mother in the pottery business established by the family in the 17th century. When his mother died in 1792 he took over the sole management of and greatly extended the business. In 1792 also he married Catherine Jones, daughter of the vicar of Llannor and Denïo, Caernarfonshire.
Accustomed to attend Hawarden church, about the year 1785 he joined the Independents and was closely associated with their cause throughout his life. He was deeply concerned for the moral and spiritual welfare of the increasing population of his native district, and took a prominent part in establishing the Independent causes at Bagillt, Holywell, and Buckley. A licence was granted for the holding of services in his house, Hawkesbury House, which he built in 1801; in 1811 he purchased a piece of land and at his own expense built a new chapel thereon. He was a collector on behalf of the British and Foreign Bible Society in Flintshire.
His wife died in 1807 aged 35, and of his eight children five died in infancy. His two daughters died of a fever in 1818, aged 24 and 23 respectively; his son William was taken into partnership in 1819 on his twenty-first birthday. Jonathan Catherall died 31 July 1833 and was buried in the Independent chapel yard, Buckley.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/