On 1 July 1754 at Cheltenham, Dorothea, fourth daughter of John Vaughan of Trecŵn and Joan Corbet his wife, m. JOSEPH FOSTER -BARHAM, son of Colonel John Foster (1681 - 1731), of Egham House, Surrey, and Jamaica. He was b. 16 Dec. 1729 in Jamaica, where the family had large estates which he inherited. He assumed the surname of his step-father, Dr. Henry Barham, in 1750, and d. in 1789.
JOSEPH FOSTER -BARHAM, his eldest son by Dorothea Vaughan, b. 1 Jan. 1759, succeeded to the Trecŵn estate in 1803 on the death of his aunt, Martha Vaughan, the last of the old family of Trecŵn [she had Moravian associations — see Cymm., xlv, 76]. In 1792 he m. Caroline Tufton (d. 1832), second daughter of Sackville Tufton, 8th earl of Thanet. The first of the Barhams to live at Trecŵn, he was M.P. for Stockbridge for about fifty years. On his death in 1832 he was succeeded by his eldest son JOHN FOSTER -BARHAM, M.P. for Stockbridge and afterwards for Kendal, who, in 1834, m. lady Catherine Grimstone, daughter of the earl of Verulam, but d. without issue in 1838. He was succeeded by his brother (the third son), the Rev. CHARLES HENRY FOSTER -BARHAM of Trecŵn (1808 - 1878), M.P. for Appleby (1832), J.P. for Pembroke and Westmorland, and M.A., Oxford. He m. (1), 1836, Elizabeth Maria (d. 1860), daughter of William Boyd Ince of Ince, co. Lancaster, and (2), Ellen Catherine, daughter of E. T. Massey, of Cottesmore, Pembs.
From about 1855 it was the Rev. Charles Foster-Barham and his first wife who mainly supported a school (first kept across the boundary in Llanstinan parish and later at Nant-y-bugail) for the children of the district. In 1868 the well-known ‘Barham School’ at Trecŵn was founded by Henry Alexander Ince in memory of his sister's interest in local education. Charles Foster-Barham d. at Trecŵn without issue, and the family estates came to his nephew, FRANCIS WILLIAM ROBINS, b. at S. John's Wood in 1841, son of his sister Caroline Gertrude Foster-Barham who m. the Rev. Sanderson Robins (d. 1862), rector of Shaftesbury. On succeeding to the estates he took the name of Barham and resided at Trecŵn. He held the rank of captain in the Queen's 60th Rifles, m. (1868) Mary Agnes Cook at Montreal, and d. 8 Dec. 1926.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/