Born 27 June 1888, the son of Hugh and Mary Jones of Gellifor in the Clwyd valley, Denbighshire. He was educated in schools at Llanrwst and Denbigh, and began his career as a clerk in a solicitor's office. Jones became a solicitor himself in 1922, and was appointed to a post within the Denbighshire County Council. He served as Clerk of the Peace and as Clerk to the County Council from 1930 until 1949. He came to much prominence as Secretary to the Conference of Welsh Councils which discussed the Report of the Welsh Church Commissioners. In 1942 he became a member of the Advisory Council for Post-War Reconstruction in Wales and Monmouthshire, and from 1942 until 1945 he served as the Regional Controller for South Wales of the Ministry of Fuel and Power. He was also a part-time director of the Wales Gas Board, 1948-59, and a part-time director of the South Western Regional Coal Board from 1949. In the same year he served as a member of the Royal Commission on Capital Punishment. In 1952 Jones was appointed chairman of two influential sub-committees of the Council for Wales and Monmouthshire (committees responsible for government administration and for re-development in Wales), and he collaborated effectively with Huw T. Edwards. He resigned from the Council in 1959 as a protest against the appointment of Henry Brooke, Minister for Welsh Affairs, as its chairman.
Jones was considered one of the most distinguished administrators in Welsh local government. He was a native Welsh speaker, a member of the Council of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, and he served as a member of the Council and the Executive Committee of the National Eisteddfod. He received the C.B.E. in 1941, and was knighted in 1949.
He married (1) in 1917 Charlotte Maud, daughter of Jos. Dykins. She died in 1932. He married (2) Ellen, daughter of Henry Bennett of Llanychan in 1942. He had two daughters. He died 7 June 1961 at Hafod, Ruthin.
Published date: 2001
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/