DAVIES, ELLIS (1872 - 1962), priest and antiquarian

Name: Ellis Davies
Date of birth: 1872
Date of death: 1962
Spouse: Mary Louisa Davies
Parent: Ellis Davies
Gender: Male
Occupation: priest and antiquarian
Area of activity: History and Culture; Religion; Scholarship and Languages
Author: Mary Auronwy James

b. 22 September 1872, son of Ellis Davies, a gardener at Nannerch, Flints., but the family soon moved to Llaniestyn, Caerns. He was educated at Botwnnog grammar school, and in 1892 he gained an entrance exhibition to St. David's College, Lampeter, where he won prizes each year. After graduating in 1895 he was ordained and served as curate in Llansilin, and then in Old Colwyn and St. Giles, Oxford. Whilst at Oxford he graduated B.A. (1907) from Worcester College and took his M.A. in 1911. He also acted as chaplain to Jesus College and Radcliffe Infirmary. In 1909 he was appointed vicar of Llanddoged, Denbs., and rector of Whitford, Flints., in 1913, where he remained until his retirement in 1951. In recognition of his long and dedicated service to the Church he held a canonry at St. Asaph, 1937-46, and was chancellor of the diocese, 1944-47. Although he composed several hymn-tunes and chants he became more widely known in the field of archaeology. In 1913 he became a member of the Cambrian Archaeological Society and the same year he won a prize at the national eisteddfod at Abergavenny for a handbook on British and Roman remains in Denbighshire which was published in 1929 after further research. He also won a prize at the national eisteddfod at Corwen in 1919 for an essay on the place-names of Merionethshire. In 1956 the G. T. Clark Prize for research into Celtic history was awarded to him for his work on The prehistoric and Roman remains of Flintshire (1949). He was also author of Llyfr y proffwyd Hosea (1920), Flintshire Place-names (1959) and numerous articles in Yr Haul, Y Llan, Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940 and historical journals. He served as joint editor of Archaeologia Cambrensis for 15 years from 1925 and later as sole editor (1940-48). In 1929 he was elected F.S.A. and in 1959 the University of Wales conferred on him an honorary D.Litt.

He married Mary Louisa (died 27 May 1937), daughter of the Revd. David Davies, Llansilin. He died 3 April 1962 at Bryn Derwen, Caerwys, Flints., and was survived by 3 sons and 3 daughters.

Author

Published date: 2001

Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/