DAVIES, JOHN (Peirianydd Gwynedd; 1783 - 1855), engineer, carpenter, smith, clock-maker, poet, and musician

Name: John Davies
Pseudonym: Peirianydd Gwynedd
Date of birth: 1783
Date of death: 1855
Child: Robert Davies
Gender: Male
Occupation: engineer, carpenter, smith, clock-maker, poet, and musician
Area of activity: Business and Industry; Engineering, Construction, Naval Architecture and Surveying; Music; Poetry
Author: Iorwerth Cyfeiliog Peate

Born 1783 at Hafod-y-foel, Llanbryn-mair, brother of the Rev. Evan Davies ('Eta Delta'). In 1820 he set himself up in business at Dôl-goch, Talerddig, in the same parish, as a manufacturer of wool-making machinery. He supplied woollen mills in every county in Wales with machines for carding, combing, and weaving; at one time there were branches of his business at Dolgelley and Carmarthen. His son, ROBERT, worked in partnership with him. One of his looms (c. 1820) can be seen at the Welsh Folk Museum, St. Fagans, where it is still in regular use. He died 20 September 1855.


Published date: 1959

Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/

The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.

Find out more on our sponsorship page.