Born at Winllan, Llanbryn-mair, 31 January 1802, son of Richard and Mary Williams, and brother of William Williams (Gwilym Cyfeiliog). He was educated first at a school kept by his uncle, the Rev. John Roberts (1767 - 1834), then at the school of William Owen (1788 - 1838), and later in schools at Birmingham, Wrexham, and Liverpool. After some time had elapsed he opened a school of his own at Liverpool. In 1830 he married Mary, daughter of the Rev. Thomas Hughes of Liverpool (1758 - 1828) in 1834 he gave up his school in order to become a Calvinistic Methodist preacher. He was ordained in 1835 at Bala, and spent the rest of his life as minister of Rose Place chapel, Mulberry Street, Liverpool. He was one of the founders of the Calvinistic Methodist Foreign Mission Society and, as first chairman of the committee, was elected to bring the matter to the notice of the Calvinistic Methodist Associations held at Llanfaircaereinion and Neath in 1840. In 1841 he edited, jointly with the Rev. Joseph Williams, a collection of hymns. He wrote, among other things, Y Pregethwr a'r Gwrandawr, 1840 - a series of dialogues originally published in the Drysorfa, 1838-9. He died 30 August 1842 at Liverpool.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.