Born 16 December 1854, at Hên Dŷ Capel, Rhiwbryfdir, Blaenau Ffestiniog (not at Tanygrisiau as stated by J. Lloyd Williams), one of the five children of John Williams, Rhiwbryfdir (brother to Griffith Williams, 1824 - 1881), and his wife. After leaving school G. J. Williams worked as a quarryman in Chwarel Holland (part of the Oakeley quarry), Blaenau Ffestiniog. Afterwards he went to Bangor Normal College; he taught at Corwen (1876) and Tanygrisiau as assistant master, as headmaster at the British school, Blaenau Ffestiniog, eventually (in 1883) becoming headmaster of the Higher Grade school, Blaenau Ffestiniog.
G. J. Williams became well-known in North Wales as a geologist. In 1895 he was appointed assistant inspector of mines (under C. Le Neve Foster) in North Wales and Ireland. In 1891 he published articles on the Manod and Moelwyn mountains; these were rewarded by a grant out of the Murchison Fund of the Geological Society. He was also a talented musician and had some gift as a poet. He married, May 1881, Mary Helena (died 1916), daughter of Daniel Howell, Gellidywyll Mills, Llanbryn-mair; there were seven children of the marriage. His Hanes Plwyf Ffestiniog was published in 1882. He died 3 February 1933, and was buried in Glanadda cemetery, Bangor.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.