Born at Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, 1831, son of William Wilkins, who left Stonehouse to settle in Merthyr Tydfil as a bookseller. In 1851, William Wilkins became postmaster of Merthyr Tydfil, and his son Charles served him as a clerk. Twenty years later the son succeeded the father as postmaster and retired pensioned in 1898, after forty-six years service in all. Charles Wilkins was librarian of Merthyr Tydfil Subscription Library for twenty years from its commencement in 1846. Thomas Stephens (Gwyddon) was secretary. He died at his residence, Springfield, Merthyr Tydfil, 2 August 1913. Wilkins wrote prolifically, and mostly for the weekly newspapers of Merthyr Tydfil and Cardiff. His chief works are: The History of Merthyr Tydfil, 1867 and 1908; The History of the Literature of Wales from 1300 to 1650, 1884 — an expansion of ‘The History of the Literature of Gwent and Morganwg’, the winning essay at the national eisteddfod, 1880; The History of the Coal Trade of South Wales, 1888; The History of the Iron, Steel, Tinplate and other Trades of Wales, 1903. He edited the magazine The Red Dragon, 1882-7.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/