Born 20 May 1831 at Newcastle Emlyn, but brought up at Morriston, where he began to preach. He was educated at Trevecka College (1851) and the University of Glasgow, but he was obliged to cut short his academic course and return home owing to a serious illness. He settled at Pen-clawdd, Gower, as minister of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist church but removed soon afterwards to Bethania, Aberdare (1857). While at Aberdare he edited Y Gwladgarwr for a period. In 1862 he removed to Liverpool, and during his ministry there the chapel in Princes Road was erected. He accepted a call in 1868 to lady Llanover's church at Aber-carn, Monmouth. His stay at Abercarn was brief. He ultimately (1873) settled at Trinity church, Swansea, and remained there to the end of his days. He was elected moderator of the Calvinistic Methodist General Assembly in 1887, and of the South Wales Association in 1880. He died 14 October 1892. He was one of the organisers of the conference on Intermediate Education in Wales, held at Aberystwyth 22 June 1880. He vainly strove to persuade his own denomination to establish a single theological college for the whole denomination; and was present at the opening of Bala Theological College in 1891. His wife was a daughter of John Howell of Pen-coed, Glamorganshire, father of dean David Howell.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.