b. at Mellteyrn, Llŷn, Caerns., the son of Rolant ap Robert and Elizabeth, daughter of Gruffydd ap Robert Vaughan of Talhenbont. He was educated at a school in the parish of Penllech and at New College, Oxford (B.A. 1574, M.A. 1577, B.D. 1591, D.D. 1605). Ordained on 14 September 1572; he became rector of Mellteyrn, 1572-81; rector of Langton (Oxon.), 1581-1600; prebendary of Penmynydd, Anglesey, 1584-93; rector of Aberdaron, 1588; archdeacon of Anglesey, 1588; dean of Bangor, 1593; bishop of Bangor, 1598-1616. As bishop he held ‘in commendam’ the livings of Trefdraeth, Anglesey, and Llanrhaeadr-yng-Nghinmeirch, Denbs. He died 6 July 1616. He appears during his lifetime to have repaired Bangor cathedral; he also bequeathed £20 towards its re-roofing. He established scholarships at Jesus College, Oxford, and bequeathed lands for the establishment of a school at Mellteyrn (Botwnnog) and almshouses at Bangor. He married Frances Hutchins of Langton, but left no issue.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/