son of Richard Prichard, rector of Llan-gan, Glamorgan, and vicar-choral of Llandaff cathedral, and of Eleanor his wife, was born at Llan-gan 6 May 1817, and christened there by his father 10 July 1817. He trained as an architect and was appointed diocesan architect of Llandaff. He superintended the restoration of many churches throughout the diocese a notable example of his work being the restoration of Baglan church. He was also the architect responsible for the extensive restoration of Llandaff cathedral between 1844 and 1857. Prichard d. 13 October 1886, and was buried in the churchyard on the south side of Llandaff cathedral, near the Lady-chapel and in the same grave as his father, a former vicar-choral of Llandaff for thirty-five years. A brass plate inscribed ‘In Memory of a Great Architect, John Prichard, Restorer of this Cathedral …’ is placed in the aisle under the window of the south wall in the south-western tower.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/