Born 14 February 1825 in London, son of William Lloyd and Jane (Fitzgerald). Educated at Shrewsbury School and Trinity College, Dublin, he was ordained deacon in 1850 (priest, 1851), and licensed as curate of the mission of Lennoxville, Canada. In 1856 he was appointed to the vicarage of Marton, co. Salop. On 15 April 1858 he became a chaplain in the Royal Navy and a naval instructor, 12 July 1860. In 1879 he was appointed chaplain to H.R.H. admiral the duke of Edinburgh. Retiring in 1882 he was presented to the rectory of Haselbeech, near Northampton, which he held till his death on 17 June 1896. He married, 1850, Caroline Amelia Sophia, only daughter of capt. John Athelmer Aylmer. They had two daughters. He died at Leamington, and was buried in the churchyard of Chirbury.
From the first he was one of the most constant supporters of the Powys-land Club and one of the most learned contributors to the Montgomeryshire Collections. He was well versed in the genealogy and heraldry of the county. His most important contribution was the series of articles on ‘The Sheriffs of Montgomeryshire, 1541 to 1638,’ running through many volumes of the Collections and published as a separate volume in 1876. This series, interrupted in the ninth volume, was renewed in the twenty-seventh and carried on from 1639 to 1676, but illness and death broke their continuance. [Next to these we must mention his ‘Miscellanea Historica,’ to which may be added a long list of shorter articles and contributions].
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/