b. in 1760 at Derwen Groes, Abergwili, Carms., son of David Lewis. He was educated at Llanpumpsaint and at the Presbyterian Academy, Carmarthen, under Robert Gentleman. He matriculated at Oxford University from Jesus College in June 1782, but does not appear to have graduated. He served as schoolmaster and curate at Oswestry, being ordained priest in May 1785; in January 1787 he was instituted to the benefice of Aber-nant, Carms., and in March 1787 to the perpetual curacy of Cynwyl Elfed. He served these parishes till his death on 28 July 1850. In addition, he was from 1794 to 1850 rector of Garthbeibio, Mont. He was buried at Aber-nant. Lewis was a J.P. for the county of Carmarthen, and auditor of the Christian Knowledge and Church Union Society, founded by bishop Burgess of S. Davids, to assist candidates for holy orders. He was one of the supporters of the Carmarthen eisteddfodau, and wrote the preface to the pryddestau of the eisteddfod held there in 1819. He also published a translation of Wood on the Catechism.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/