LATHROP, RICHARD (died 1764), bookseller and printer at Shrewsbury.
Name: Richard Lathrop
Date of death: 1764
Spouse: Mary Lathrop (née Hesketh)
Occupation: bookseller and printer
Area of activity: Business and Industry; Literature and Writing; Printing and Publishing
Author: William Llewelyn Davies
There is no certainty that he was Welsh and his production of Welsh books, including ballads, was but small compared with that of his Shrewsbury contemporaries, Thomas Durston and Stafford Prys. He began as a master printer in 1738 (see Cambriae Suspiria In Obitum … Reginae Carolinae … Authore Tho. Richards), and was admitted a freeman of the ' Combrethren of Saddlers … ' on 22 June 1739. His wife, whom he married on 14 February 1737/8, was Mary Hesketh. Lathrop was buried on 1 November 1764.
- Sir William Llewelyn Davies, (1887 - 1952)
- W. Rowlands, Cambrian Bibliography
- J. H. Davies, A Bibliography of Welsh Ballads printed in the 18th century (1908-11)
- Ifano Jones, A history of printing and printers in Wales to 1810, and of successive and related printers to 1923 (Cardiff 1925)
- Llewelyn C. Lloyd, 'The Book Trade in Shropshire,' in Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1935, 1936.
- Wikipedia Article: Richard Lathrop
- Wikidata: Q20734287
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/