Born 2 May 1804 in the parish of Llanychaearn, near Aberystwyth, son of a weaver. He was first educated by his father, and was reported to be able to read Latin at the age of 7. He went to a school in the parish, and then to a grammar school at Aberystwyth. Subsequently he taught there, and was headmaster from 1828 to 1834. After two years at S. David's College, Lampeter, where he won the Eldon Hebrew scholarship, he was ordained deacon in September 1836, and priest in September 1837. He was licensed to the curacy of Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn in 1836, and after serving there and at Capel Bangor he went, in February 1840, as curate to Llanedwen and Llanddaniel-fab in Anglesey. He remained there till his death on 2 December 1850, and was buried at Llanidan. He translated two volumes of Gurney's Scriptural Dictionary (1831) and published a Welsh Grammar in 1832.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/