Born at Ffriddgymen, near Bala, 3 November 1851. He went to the British School at Bala in 1862, and after a period as pupil-teacher entered the Bangor Normal College in January 1872. He spent two years there, and after eighteen months' teaching at Cefnfaes school, Bethesda, he was appointed headmaster of Garth school, Bangor, in June 1875. He held this post for twenty-seven years, relinquishing it at the request of the college authorities in order to collect funds for the new buildings of the University College of North Wales, Bangor. He gave himself to this work till 1916. In 1881 he married Elizabeth, daughter of John Thomas, Plas Madog, Parc, near Bala, and a cousin of T. E. Ellis; they had two sons and three daughters. He died at Bangor, 4 August 1928, and was buried in Glanadda cemetery.
Llew Tegid produced a considerable amount of literary work, and co-operated with John Lloyd Williams (died 1943) in the work of the Welsh Folk-Song Society. He wrote Welsh words for many of the folk-songs which came to light. But he is best remembered as an eisteddfod conductor. He first appeared in this capacity at a national eisteddfod at Bangor in 1902, and with one exception (1905) continued to do so every year till 1925. He had an exceptional gift of managing a large crowd: his voice was clear and penetrating, he had a fund of ready wit, and considerable personal charm.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.