b. at Ruabon and christened 16 July 1827, only son and fifth child of John Jones (curate of Ruabon 1819-30, and rector of Llangwm 1830-72) and of Charlotte Harriett, his wife. He matriculated at Oxford from Jesus College in April 1847, graduated B.A. in 1851 and M.A. in 1853. He was ordained deacon by bishop Bethell of Bangor on 21 December 1851, and licensed to the curacy of Trewalchmai and Heneglwys in Anglesey. He was offered the vicarage of Llangorwen, near Aberystwyth, in the spring of 1852, but declined it; on 19 December 1852 he was ordained priest. On 18 July 1857 he was appointed vicar of Llanegryn, Mer., and remained there till 1872, when he was appointed to S. Mary's, Cardiff, being instituted 27 Feb. Here he served till his retirement in 1903. He died 22 September 1906, and was buried at Cardiff. Jones was at Oxford in the heyday of the Oxford Movement, and he gave himself unsparingly in the course of his ministry to the diffusion of its teaching and practices in Wales.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/