b. at Kirkdale, Liverpool, 3 August 1844, second son of David James (Dewi o Ddyfed). He was educated at Abergavenny grammar school and went to Jesus College, Oxford, in 1863. He was at Lincoln College, Oxford, in 1864 (scholar 1864-7), and obtained first classes in classical honour moderations in 1865 and ‘Litterae Humaniores’ in 1867. He took his B.A. in 1867, M.A. in 1870, B.D. in 1874, and D.D. in 1895, Elected to a Fellowship at S. John's College, he was an assistant master at Marlborough, 1872-5, and then for eleven years headmaster of Rossall. After three years (1886-9) as dean of S. Asaph, he became successively headmaster of Cheltenham (till 1895) and Rugby (1895-1909) before returning to S. John's as president, which office he held for twenty-two years. He was for forty years chaplain to A. G. Edwards. He died at Oxford, 15 November 1931, and was buried at Wolvercote.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/