b. 31 July 1861 at Aberllefenni, Mer., youngest son of Robert Hughes, quarry manager. He was educated at the National School, Corris, and Dolgelley grammar school. He was apprenticed to a draper at Dolgelley, but returned to work in the slate quarries at Aberllefenni. He started his medical career with Dr. J. Jones at Corris, and later became a student at Edinburgh University where (1884) he was appointed demonstrator in anatomy and physiology. Subsequently he studied at Leipzig and in London. He graduated in 1885, and in 1889 became F.R.C.S. (Edin.), and two years later F.R.C.S. (Eng.). He commenced a private practice at Flint (1887) but returned to Edinburgh to resume his teaching in the School of Medicine. In 1893 he was appointed professor of anatomy at the Medical School of the University College, Cardiff, and in 1897 professor of anatomy at King's College, London. At this time he made numerous and important contributions to the study of anatomy. During the Boer War, Hughes was the originator and organizer of the movement for equipping and supporting the Welsh hospital in South Africa. On the death of several members of the staff he undertook the duty of chief superintendent. While on his way home he developed enteric fever; he d. 3 Nov. 1900 and was buried at Corris. A Conservative in politics he unsuccessfully contested one of the Caernarvonshire divisions in the Unionist interest.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/