Born at Felinwlân, Lampeter Velfrey, Pembrokeshire, son of John Griffiths. He was educated at Pembroke grammar-school and, c. 1774, was appointed private tutor to the Bowen family of Llwyn-gwair, Nevern, where he came into contact with some of the principal Methodist leaders. He married the eldest daughter of his patron. He was ordained deacon by the bishop of S. Davids, 16 October 1779, and priest, 2 September 1780; and was appointed vicar of Nevern, a Crown presentation, 2 December 1783. A fluent preacher, he constantly ministered to the Methodist communities and frequented their societies. He opposed their claim to ordain ministers, however, and in 1811 left them and took possession of their chapels at Nevern, Eglwyswrw, and S. Dogmaels. After that he confined his activities to his own parish. He was one of the executors of the will of Bridget Bevan, and did a great deal for education after the money left by the will had been made available. He died 18 September 1834 at Berry Hill, Newport, Pembrokeshire, and was buried in Nevern church.
His brother, JOHN GRIFFITH, was a student at the countess of Huntingdon's college at Trevecka. In 1795, in Spa Fields chapel, he was ordained a minister in the countess's connexion but later became an Independent. He was a minister in several places in England but, in his old age, returned to die in his brother's house at Lampeter Velfrey. There he was buried. Josiah Thomas Jones, printer and publisher of the Geiriadur Bywgraffyddol, was a nephew of the two brothers.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.