Born 7 October 1860 at Cae Einion, Dolgelley, son of David Evans and Jane (Roberts). He was educated at Dolgelley grammar school and then went to serve in the Herald office at Caernarvon. He returned a little later to Dolgelley, and having acquired the printing office where Y Goleuad was printed (the place of printing having been changed from Caernarvon to Dolgelley), he arranged with the Goleuad company to edit and publish that journal, this arrangement continuing from the issue for 5 July 1884 until that for 26 June 1914. On 1 July 1914 he started his own weekly newspaper, Y Cymro, of which he was editor, publisher, and printer, and which continued to be published at Dolgelley until 1931.
Other newspapers and journals were issued throughout the years from the Dolgelley offices, among them being The Merionethshire News, 1888 - name changed after a short time to The Merioneth News and Herald; Y Lladmerydd, 1885?; Cymru Fydd, 1888; Y Gymraes, 1896; Y Llan, Yr Haul, and Y Ddolen. Many books were published also by E. W. Evans, among them being Cantref Meirionydd, 1890, by R. Prys Morris.
E. W. Evans married, 20 December 1888, Annie, only daughter of Joseph Roberts, Dolgelley. He was keenly interested in local history, including the history of Calvinistic Methodism in North Wales, and amassed considerable manuscripts and printed material; for an account of the Frondirion MSS., as the manuscript portion is called, see N.L.W. Handlist of MSS., ii, 154-7. He died 28 October 1925.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography is provided by The National Library of Wales and the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies. It is free to use and does not receive grant support. A donation would help us maintain and improve the site so that we can continue to acknowledge Welsh men and women who have made notable contributions to life in Wales and beyond.
Find out more on our sponsorship page.