Born 20 February 1864, son of captain Henry Evans, Caernarvon. A scholar of S. David's College, Lampeter, he graduated B.A. in 1898. Ordained in that year, his first curacy was Connah's Quay, which he resigned in the following year on being appointed inspector of Church schools in the diocese of Bangor, a diocese of which he was to become one of the leading figures. In 1909 he was preferred to the benefice of Llanfaethlu -cum- Llanfwrog (Anglesey). He was appointed rural dean of Talybolion in 1918, but relinquished this position in 1921 on being made archdeacon of Bangor. Living at a time when the disestablishment controversy raged, he took a foremost part in presenting the case for the Church and in 1906 collected diocesan statistics for presentation to the Welsh Church Commission. An opponent of disestablishment and disendowment, he nevertheless directed his efforts to ensure the smooth working of the Church in Wales after its disestablishment. From 1901 to 1915 he edited the yearly volumes of the Bangor Diocesan Calendar, publications notable for their wealth of information. His library, comprising over 4,000 volumes, included many rare Welsh books, particularly prayer books. A strong personality and a gifted preacher, his services were in great demand throughout the Principality. He died 22 September 1937.
He was the author of several books, Sunday school commentaries, and articles, written in English and in Welsh, his most important work being A Chapter in the History of the Welsh Book of Common Prayer, three volumes, 1922. Besides sermons and archdiaconal charges, his published works and articles include Minutes and Proceedings of an old Tract Society of Bangor Diocese, 1804-12; A few Episcopal Visitation Queries, 1937; Memorandum on the Legality of the Welsh Bible and Prayer Book; and articles (in the publications of the Hon. Society of Cymmrodorion, Welsh Outlook, Journal of the Welsh Bibliographical Society, etc.) on such subjects as ‘Life and Work of Edmund Prys,’ ‘Three Old Foundations,’ ‘Bishop Nicholas Robinson,’ ‘Thomas a Kempis and Wales,’ and ‘Some Welsh Agricultural Writers.’ A large number of his manuscripts are now in N.L.W.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC/1.0/