he was educated at Jesus College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. (1625), M.A. (1628), and B.D. (1640). He became rector of Pentyrch with Radyr, 1630, rector of Llan-gan, apparently with Llantrithyd, 1638, and prebendary of S. Andrews in Llandaff cathedral, 1638.
During the Commonwealth he was ejected from the livings of Llan-gan and Pentyrch for ‘not reading the Directory,’ but received lenient treatment ‘because of his great learning and excellent parts’ and the favour of the Parliamentarian colonel Philip Jones, Fonmon. He was allowed a ‘fourth’ of the living of Llan-gan, and the living itself was leased to his brother Maurice. Later, payment of the ‘fourth’ was suspended and Davies maintained himself by keeping a private school and afterwards by entering the household of the countess of Peterborough as chaplain. At the Restoration, 1660, he returned as rector of Llan-gan and applied for the tithes of Llantrithyd. He petitioned for the archdeaconry of Llandaff on the grounds of his ejection and loyalty to the king's cause; Sheldon, archbishop of Canterbury, endorsed the petition and Davies became archdeacon. In 1661 he received his D.D. He was consecrated bishop of Llandaff 24 August 1667, and lived and held his ecclesiastical courts at the episcopal manor of Mathern. He refounded the cathedral library, which had been destroyed during the Commonwealth, and installed the largest bell in the cathedral tower. He died 14 March 1675 and was buried before the high altar in Llandaff cathedral; his tombstone was revealed after the air-raid of 1941.
Published date: 1959
Article Copyright: http://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-RUU/1.0/